Shampoos are one of the most common type of hair
product. These are generally used to remove oils, dirt, dandruff,
skin particles, pollutants from the environment, and other substances
that may build up on your hair.
Using the right kind of shampoo is essential in caring for and maintaining healthy hair. There is a wide variety of shampoos to choose from depending on the type of your hair and the state it is in:
- Shampoo for coarse and curly hair -- Moisturizing and creamy shampoos work best for coarse and curly hair as this type of hair is almost usually dry. Try using shampoos with wheat germ oil, shea butter and nut oils as these oils coat the hair shaft effectively trapping water inside.
- Shampoo for fine, oily, or limp hair
Clear shampoos are recommended for fine hair. This type of hair
is generally prone to looking oily; go for gentle shampoos that
may be used for frequent hair washing.
- Shampoo for processed hair
A good way to take care of processed hair colored, permed, or
relaxed, is to use shampoo made for normal hair. This is a great
way to moisturize the tips of the hair while cleansing the root
area. For colored hair, experts often recommend using gentle color
protection shampoos. As for permed and relaxed hair, any type
of moisturizing shampoo will suffice.
- Shampoo for damaged hair
Creamy and moisturizing shampoos are recommended for dry and damaged
hair. The use of conditioners is also recommended so as to further
moisturize the hair.
Apart from knowing what shampoo to use, knowing how to apply it properly is also important in maintaining healthy hair. Here are a few tips on how to shampoo your hair properly:
- Apply only a small amount of shampoo onto your palms and rub them togther
- Apply shampoo to thoroughly wet scalp and hair
- Massage your scalp gently; when rinsing, allow the suds to be distributed evenly throughout your hair.