Hair Loss and Pregnancy, Post Pregnancy Hair Loss
HairStyles & Haircuts 2012-2013, Hair Care Tips, Hair Loss Remedy
Hairstyle Guide
Home About Us Resources Search Privacy Policy Blog
Biology of Hair Loss
Types of Hair Diseases
Hair Transplant Info
Laser Hair Restoration
Hair Growth Vitamins
Hair Growth & Hair Type
Hair Removal Methods
Hair Replacement
Natural Hair Care Tips
Summer Hair Care Tips
Winter Hair Care Tips
Long Hair Care Tips
Curly Hair Care Tips
Black Hair Care Tips
Hair Loss Causes
Hair Loss Remedies
Hair Loss Products
Dandruff Treatment
Head Lice Treatment
Hair Style Guide
Sedu Hair Style Guide
Hair Coloring Guide
Diet and Healthy Hair
Yoga for Hair Loss
Ayurveda & Hair Loss
Chinese Herbs
Hair Dryer
Hair Updos 2009
Different Hairstyles
Hairstyles 2009
Hairstyles 2010
Hairstyles 2011
Hairstyles 2012
Hair Straightener
Bridal Hair
Facial Hair
Hair Dye
Hair Accessories
Hair Salons
Celebrity Hair
Hair Products
 

























Majority of hair, approximately 90%, is growing at any given period in time, while the remaining 10% are in the resting phase of the hair growth cycle . Every two or three months, the hair in the resting phase falls out to allow new hair to grow. Almost all women report hair loss at certain times during and after their pregnancy, although most cases of hair loss occurs after delivery. Hair loss after pregnancy is also known as telogen effluvium and occurs within the first five months after delivery. Almost half of all women experience this type of hair loss, but like most changes the body undergoes during pregnancy, this hair loss is temporary.



Pregnancy and hair loss, as well as menopause and hair loss , can be attributed to the changes in the female hormone known as estrogen, in the case of pregnancy an increase in estrogen. The estrogen sends signals to the hair follicles to continue growing and prevents the shedding of hair. The increase in estrogen levels also increase metabolism, which results in more nutrients being brought to all areas of the body including the scalp.

Hair loss relating to pregnancy usually happens post partum. This type of hair loss does not cause bald spots and will reduce after three to four months. Hair loss during pregnancy is rare as the changes in the body's hormonal balance keeps pregnant women from losing any hair. After giving birth, the hormone levels go back to normal, allowing the hair to fall out and go back to the normal growth cycle. Hair growth can return to normal after six to twelve months.

The hair that should have fallen out during pregnancy but was delayed due to hormone production may fall out all at once.  Excessive hair loss after pregnancy does sometimes contribute to depression and a low self esteem; however, this situation should be no cause for alarm because it is normal and is not permanent. Coping with this type of hair loss can be relatively easy as there is a lot of post pregnancy hair loss information and literature available nowadays. Online articles and books are a great help. Here are some of the things women can do to cope with the hair loss and to promote the growth of hair: Treat your hair gently. Do not brush your hair too hard nor over brush it. Use a mild shampoo. Be wary on the use of chemicals for hair perms and color. Hair reacts differently to chemical treatments and the chemicals may also be harmful to unborn babies.

Hair loss and pregnancy need not be a traumatic experience. There are a number of things women can do while pregnant to take care of their hair during pregnancy, and to reduce the effects of post partum hair loss.

  • Consult a physician to make sure that the hormones are maintained at a proper balance.
  • Avoid styling the hair in pigtails, braids, or any other style that may put stress on the hair.
  • Use mild shampoos and conditioners, and if possible, use those  that contain biotin and silica
  • Avoid the use of fine toothed combs.
  • Avoid using blow dryers and other heated instruments.
Get vitamin supplements that include Vitamin B complex, Biotin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Zinc.

© Hair Care Resources Hair Care Home |Health Directory | Celebrity Hairstyles | Bollywood HairStyles I Hair Salons & Spas in USA|Resources |SiteMap