The sophisticated hair updo is a great hairstyle for any dressy
occasion be it a wedding or a formal dance. This versatile hairstyle
is easy to do. You can style your hair in an updo by either going
to a professional stylist or by doing it yourself.
Before going to a professional stylist, there area few things you need to do prior to the visit. I
- Think about the specific hairstyle you want done and your other updo
options as well. There are a lot of possible variations to the
classic updo, and simply telling the hairstylist you want an updo
simply wont do. You have to be specific with what you want to
ensure you are satisfied with the results. If at all possible,
bring pictures of the hairstyles you want. You should be aware;
however, that most women with updos photographed in magazines
have hair extensions to give their hair a fuller look.
- Do not shampoo your hair before going to the hair stylist. Dirty
hair tends to hold curl longer, is easier to tease, and will look
better in an updo compared to hair that has just been recently
- Do test runs. Your stylist, despite being able to give you great haircuts
all the time, may not be able to style your hair in the updo that
you want. If you stylist isnt really good with creating updos,
he or she may be able to recommend another stylist who specializes
- Wear a button down shirt when getting your hair styled. This way, you
dont mess up the hairstyle when changing into your gown or dress.
- If you do not like something the hairstylist is doing, say so. If the
stylist is pulling your hair too tight or if the pins on your
head hurt, then tell the stylist. This way, your head wont hurt
for the duration of the event.
If doing the updo yourself, here are a few tips to make creating your own updo easier.
- Practice! Spend time practicing on doing the hairstyle on yourself days before the event.
- Use a lot of styling products. Use products to hold the hair in place and to make the curls last longer.
- Dont pull your hair up too tight. This may cause headaches several hours
- Accessorize your hairstyle.
- Leave out wisps of hair, soft tendrils to frame your face, or even a bit of bangs to soften the look of your hairstyle.